D&T contributes to a broad balanced 21st century curiculum
Purpose of Study
‘Design and Technology is an inspiring, rigorous and practical subject. Using creativity and imagination, pupils design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values. They acquire a broad range of subject knowledge and draw on disciplines such as mathematics, science, engineering, computing and art. Pupils learn how to take risks, becoming resourceful, innovative, enterprising and capable citizens. Through the evaluation of past and present design and technology, they develop a critical understanding of its impact on daily life and the wider world. High-quality design and technology education makes an essential contribution to the creativity, culture, wealth and wellbeing of the nation.’
National Curriculum in England: Design and Technology programmes of study,
Department for Education, September 2013
In D&T children and young people:
• learn to design, make and control high-quality products and systems
• develop practical skills though the use of tools, materials and components
• look to the future by being creative and innovative
• use knowledge and understanding to solve problems in real-life contexts
• evaluate and test their own ideas and become informed consumers of products and services
• learn about sustainability issues concerning finite resources and energy production
• develop the competence to fully participate in an increasingly technological world
• develop the desire to be enterprising and a readiness to take risks
• enjoy, value and are motivated by designing and making.
Design and Technology (D&T) is the inspiring, rigorous and practical subject which prepares all young people to live and work in the designed and made world.
We are focused on giving you the tools, knowledge and information you need to become more effective, more experienced and more efficient. Giving you access to expert opinions. And creating a place where you can air your views, ask your questions and so help make a difference to your life and those of your pupils. We want to hear from you. We want to know how we can help. And we want you to join us.