Chilled Food Association
The UK chilled prepared food industry is the most advanced in the world, over £12 billion is spent on chilled prepared food in the UK every year. This expanding industry needs high calibre students and graduates, particularly with science-based qualifications.
In the UK the industry is represented by the Chilled Food Association (CFA). Its Chilled Education project aims to inspire more young people to use their interest in science, and food science, to follow careers in the industry. It is working with teachers, students and industry professionals to provide creative practical resources, free lesson plans and opportunities to experience the industry first hand.
Working with the Design and Technology Association Chilled Education has developed free teaching resources for your classroom. There are lessons for primary and secondary pupils on hygiene, tasting food and developing new products. And teachers attending D&TA’s Teaching Food Safely courses also receive a free set of practical resources, including Glo Germ handwashing kits, fridge thermometers and the innovative Micro Trumps game.
CFA represents some of the best-known UK chilled food manufacturers. Its members supply major retailers with foods ranging from sandwiches to prepared salads, and chilled prepared meals to desserts.
If you want to find out more about Chilled Education, including careers information, advice and insights from industry professionals visit www.chillededucation.org and for more information on the CFA visit www.chilledfood.org
A number of free resources are available from the Chilled Food Association.
Keystage 1 Resources
- Chilled Food Association - KS1 Glo Germs (hygiene)
- Chilled Food Association - KS1 New product development
- Chilled Food Association - KS1 Sensory Scientists (Taste)
Keystage 2 Resources
- Chilled Food Association - KS2 Sensory Scientists (Taste)
- Chilled Food Association - KS2 New product development
- Chilled Food Association - KS2 Glo Germs (hygiene)
Keystage 3 Resources
- Chilled Food Association - KS3 New Product design
- Chilled Food Association - KS3 Hygiene
- Chilled Food Association - KS3 Taste
Keystage 4 Resources
- Chilled Food Association - KS4 Taste
- Chilled Food Association - KS4 Hygiene
- Chilled Food Association - KS4 Controlled Assessment
Design and Technology (D&T) is the inspiring, rigorous and practical subject which prepares all young people to live and work in the designed and made world.
We are focused on giving you the tools, knowledge and information you need to become more effective, more experienced and more efficient. Giving you access to expert opinions. And creating a place where you can air your views, ask your questions and so help make a difference to your life and those of your pupils. We want to hear from you. We want to know how we can help. And we want you to join us.