Design & Technology Summer School 2019
The D&T Association Summer School for 2019 is being held for a third year at the state of the art facilities of De Montfort University, Leicester - take a look at this video
PLEASE NOTE: Sessions are going on line all the time, check back to see what is available.
Our Summer School will take place at De Montfort University. A big thank you to the University for opening their doors and hosting this exciting 2 day event. Running alongside the two day event there will be a suppliers exhibition for you to attend and speak with exhibiting organisations. In previous years we have had exhibitors such as Awarding organisations, Denford, Boxford, Autodesk, Technology supplies, Tech soft, Practical Action and many more. A full suppliers exhibition list will be published in due course.
Book a place on either
Agenda for both days are yet to be fully confirmed but will include workshops such as
- Autonomous Learning - A practical approach to flipping D&T with the use of technology
- Avoiding Design Fixation
- CAD for KS3 Design & Technology
- CAD/CAM Textiles - a multi skilled e-textiles task.
- D&T Curriculum Planning for the new Ofsted framework
- Designing for your environment
- Embedding Sustainable Thinking into the Design Process
- Engaging projects to embed D&T knowledge: a practical workshop
- Engineering - Back to basics
- Hot and Cold Metal Forming including SMHS Heat Treatment Accreditation
- How the 3D technology is changing the way schools teach design, the creative careers and the marketplace
- Improving lives with the crumble controller
- Integrating computing into Design & Technology - A Beginners Guide
- Modelling, Manipulation, Mess and Meaning
- Pick and Mix projects in D&T
- Practical ways to develop creativity and imaginative thinking using robotics.
- Prototyping from cardboard to CAD. The iterative journey.
- STEM Club ideas - Brunel Robotic Society
- Taking a User-Centred Design approach in Design & Technology
- Textile product innovation, performance and analysis
- Thinking for learning within Design and Technology
- Understandig Fibres and Fabrics: A Wool4School Workshop
Due to the nature of this event the agenda will remain subject to change
The Summer School provides the opportunity for teachers and all those involved in D&T education to come together, listen, observe, and actively take part in practical workshops and discussions. We are currently finalising the above workshops and developing more for the event. We have enlisted experts in their field, to provide a full agenda of presentations and workshops representing a wide range of innovative and inspiring D&T activities.
The summer school workshops will provide support to teachers implementing changes, as well as providing opportunity for developing subject knowledge and pedagogical skills. Workshops are designed to help and support you through and ensure that both levels of confidence and expertise are developed. No prior experience is necessary, with sessions accommodating all levels.
Booking early is important to ensure you area able to book onto your first-choice workshop sessions. But don’t worry if you can’t book onto your initial choice of workshop there will be plenty of other really interesting sessions to attend.
Get the dates booked into your school CPD calendar and budgeted for now. The sessions are as ever subject to some changes, but you can guarantee they will be highly interesting, and you will come away inspired. we will publish them here so that you can build your own agenda.
To Book: The event is £200 per person/ per day (member) and £250 per person/ per day (non-member). Members will need to login first in order to get the discounted rates
In order to maintain the quality of our courses, we ask our delegates to book in advance and you will receive a confirmation email of your booking. Delegates that have not booked prior to the event cannot be guaranteed a space on the event or the workshop of their choice.
Please note: you must arrive before 9.15am to give yourself enough time to register.
Sessions maybe subject to change. We will strive to offer alternative sessions of the same high quality in the unlikely event of any session cancellation. We will be taking photographs throughout the two day event which will be used for marketing purposes. Please make it clear upon arrival and in any of your workshops, if you do not wish to appear in any photographs
For those of you who wish to stay overnight, there are a number of hotels within Leicester City Centre, we have listed below a number that you might be interested in:
A map and directions for De Montfort University can be found here.
Design and Technology (D&T) is the inspiring, rigorous and practical subject which prepares all young people to live and work in the designed and made world.
We are focused on giving you the tools, knowledge and information you need to become more effective, more experienced and more efficient. Giving you access to expert opinions. And creating a place where you can air your views, ask your questions and so help make a difference to your life and those of your pupils. We want to hear from you. We want to know how we can help. And we want you to join us.