Sustainability Design Challenge (LND4)
Date and Time
Start Date: 9th November 2020
Time: 09:30 - 16:30
Your Price: £0.00
This is a FREE COURSE which has been developed for The British Council as part of the Connecting Classrooms Global Learning programme and in partnership with Engineers Without Borders. It is an excellent opportunity for teachers to participate in high quality CPD activity working with D&T colleagues from other schools.
The course presents problem-solving challenges which can be used with your students to highlight how engineering can improve the quality of people’s lives. With an emphasis on using the correct materials and technologies to provide solutions to problems, this course is suitable for D&T teachers irrespective of their specialist areas of knowledge.
By participating in this course, you will:
• know and understand the importance of global learning and how it impacts on us all
• develop a better understanding of the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and how to make reference to them in your teaching
• be given the opportunity to think widely about setting problems for students to solve – enabling you to teach the skills required for approaching the contextual challenge at GCSE
• have a platform through which to deliver core knowledge associated with sustainable design, energy, mechanisms and structures
• be encouraged to develop students’ rapid modelling skills and promote the concept of iterative design thus avoiding design fixation
• work collaboratively with colleagues to develop ideas for how to engage students and ways to deliver the content.
Resources to support the course and subsequent delivery:
• information and resources from Engineers Without Borders Design Challenge and other specific teaching packs around water and energy
• Practical Action resources promoting the SDGs and Global Learning
• the course PPT including links to related videos
• implement a unit of work back in the classroom – length of time and number of students/year group can be decided by the teacher
• log in to the network evaluation meeting approximately 8 -10 weeks after the course this is to feed back on what they have done and share thoughts and outcomes with other teachers
• The British Council will ask for a short questionnaire to be completed before attending the course and after the evaluation event
• one school will be chosen from each course to share in more detail the activities they undertook – the teacher will be supported in this by their course trainer
*These courses are free to state funded schools. Please contact us if you are an independent school and wish to take part.
The date of your online network meeting will take place on Tuesday 12th January 2021 and is expected to last no more than one hour. You will be sent joining instructions nearer the time. This is a free course, however, failure to attend both elements will result in you being invoiced for £100.
If you are a teacher or a trainee teacher and plan to attend our event, please seek permission from your line management before booking and ensure you are aware of our terms and conditions. Spaces are limited. Booking your place is essential. If after booking a place you are unable to attend this course, please notify us one week prior to the course date or your school will be invoiced.
D&T Association Terms and Conditions apply – read more
Data Protection process for British Council, Engineering for People Design Challenge Courses – please read
To be confirmed - London,
Prices include VAT at the appropriate rate where applicable.
Back to events